Mercedes GLE Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had our first good snow yesterday. Anyway, the wife and I went to breakfast for what I call an interesting drive. I had a 2015 ML350 that was very good in the snow but I can honestly say the GLE43 is not the same. For starters, I spent four years in the Nordic and the rest of the time in the Midwest so I know how to drive snow. Obviously, the tires are the issue and I'm not going to buy a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for my pride and joy. BTW, my wife's 2016 E400 coupe goes through the snow with zero issues. Oh well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Snow tires are a must for me no matter what car I get because the risk of sliding is just not worth taking IMO. Once tried driving through a storm in all seasons and it wasn't fun. Doesn't have to be the best out there, but an average set still makes a difference. But this does give you a reason to commandeer your wife's E400 coupe more often when it snows. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks have always been my go to winter tires and regardless of which vehicle I put them on, they always impress!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been thinking of giving the Continental WinterContact tires a try, a change from the usual Michelin. They're pretty affordable and said to have accurate steering and great snow acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 GLE43, with its stock 20" rim and all-season tires, I wasn't able to get on the driveway at my rented place at Tahoe last winter.
I would like to get snow tires this year. Dealer suggests me to keep using stock rims, and get additional set of snow tires (4 rubbers). They will charge $120 twice a year to swap rubbers for me. The advantage is cheaper up front, I don't have to buy 4 rims, with 4 TPMS sensors. However somewhere online I read that it is better to get 1 inch smaller dedicated rims for snow tires.

I am glad to find this thread. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Also, will 19" rim work with the super-sized calibers on AMG43?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had our first good snow yesterday. Anyway, the wife and I went to breakfast for what I call an interesting drive. I had a 2015 ML350 that was very good in the snow but I can honestly say the GLE43 is not the same. For starters, I spent four years in the Nordic and the rest of the time in the Midwest so I know how to drive snow. Obviously, the tires are the issue and I'm not going to buy a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for my pride and joy. BTW, my wife's 2016 E400 coupe goes through the snow with zero issues. Oh well.
Have you tried with Snow chains?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cold weather, icy roads, snowfall, thick fog, thaws and severe frosts make driving difficult.Driving in winter requires the driver to be very careful, as the snow cover often turns into an icy surface, where the grip of the car's wheels on the road decreases and therefore there is sliding, sideways skidding, skidding, etc. I advise you to change your winter tires as soon as possible! My instructor is James, who I found thanks to great reviews https://www.anewdriver.ie/ once told me that his friend decided to make a fool of himself without changing the tires and got into an accident. I hope you think about it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts