Mercedes GLE Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've had my new SUV for about 2 weeks. It has the keyless option so that I can lock and unlock the doors with just a touch on the outside handle as long as I have the key in my pocket. However, 3 times since new I've not been able to unlock the car by touch. I've had to get the key out of my pocket and punch the unlock button.

Last weekend I asked the dealer about it, and he said sometimes it's static electricity. He said if it doesn't unlock, try rubbing my hand on my pants and try again. Well I tried that today and it didn't work.

Is there a trick to have the car reliably unlock with a touch on the door handle?

Thanks,
fanderso3

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you check or change the battery in the key Fob? Low battery can cause it as it happened on our Murano. Wife had the fob in her bag and I guess it was pressed against something while it was in the - drained the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response, RedFox. I'm now trying with the 2nd keyfob and see if that's better. I've only had the car for a few weeks, so I didn't think it would be the battery. I sure hope you're right. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I used the 2nd keyfob for a few days and one day it failed to detect the key when trying to start the car. So I called the dealership, mentioned the issue and said I want new batteries in the keyfobs. I dropped by that evening and they replaced them both (very easy to swap batteries). I've been driving now for 10 days and no longer experience a problem. The keyfob batteries must have been the problem after all. It's odd that a new car would have this issue, but now it works great and I'm no longer worrying about it. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
With modern technologies. A tiny bit of lower current will not let the key fob to communicates hence throwing all kinds of issues. I would start with the simple-less path and work my way up/down.

·
Registered
242 Posts
you could even try contacting an automotive lock smith, see what they say, they probably know a thing or two about this stuff, after all they have to deal with it on the job with a wide range of vehicle.s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts