Mercedes GLE Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GLE Coupes have just begun rolling off the production line in Alabama!! Anyone hear from the dealers when they're expected on dealer lots?

Following its world debut at the 2015 Detroit Auto Show back in January, Mercedes-Benz’s all-new GLE Coupe is now in production at the automaker’s plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In addition to the GLE Coupe, the plant is also responsible for the regular GLE as well as the GL-Class (soon to be a “GLS”) and the C-Class. The plant was also responsible for the R-Class until recently, with production of the MPV being moved to an AM General plant in plant in Mishawaka, Indiana.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Through my experience of following a few vehicle releases, the timeline of a vehicle going from production to delivery takes about a few months, which puts the GLE Coupe at June 2015 at best, a date in line with what I have seen mentioned before.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i read they plan to push 300,000 vehicles from that plant, all part of their efforts to become a top producer....it'll be interesting to see how quick they move that 300k

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's a bit of a niche vehicle. Do you think they'll be able to sell those that quickly? I guess there will be a rush when it is brand new, and it will sell consistently moving forward but it will always be a niche vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's a bit of a niche vehicle. Do you think they'll be able to sell those that quickly? I guess there will be a rush when it is brand new, and it will sell consistently moving forward but it will always be a niche vehicle.
The coupe is a niche vehicle, dont forget the GLE is offered in coupe and box format. Last year they sold just shy of 50K ML's in the USA.

Also don't forget this facility produces all the GLE's globally so 300,000 in context of world consumption is actually not that ridiculous.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It seems as though they might be in the process of making the coupe the new standard and getting rid of the box.

Having two versions might spread their efforts out too thin, but that also creates happier customers.
The next question that would follow is what would box lovers do if the coupe was the only one, go elsewhere or adapt?

It is after all a bit hard to veer away from MB :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think that they will keep the box and the coupe. It doesn't really seem like Mercedes-Benz has the intention of eliminating many models at the moment. As long as both are selling I'm sure they will keep the two of them. 300,000 worldwide I guess is a reasonable number. I wonder where a vehicle like this will be most popular. NA, Europe, Asia?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds quite possible.

I do recall seeing them reportedly having some aggressive growth strategy
If both both models can coexsist then why not

·
Registered
23 Posts
It doesn't make sense logically to phase out the GLE box in favor of the coupe. Using BMW as model

2014 Total Sales US

X5: 47,031
X6: 3,896

Now lets look at last years ML sales, in 2014 MB moved 46,726 of them. The GLE coupe will give them the extra 4,000 units their losing to BMW (super sarcastic)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts