Mercedes GLE Forum banner

odor when air-conditioning is on

16K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  marianopintob 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 GLE 350 for around 10 months. For the past several weeks we notice a strong foul smell when we first get in the car and turn on the air conditioning. (we live in Florida) The smell is severe and can only be described as a sour vomit odor. We had this problem in our 2014 ML350 and was remidied when they changed a filter. Normally it costs around $350 but was done free due to our loyalty to the MB brand. The current problem has occurred much faster in our lease as comparred to our previous ML. Is there any solution to this condition to prevent this from occurring again if indeed it is the filter that needs to be replaced. Thank you!

#3 ·
Pretty sure that's mildew caused by running the A/C full on in hot humid weather and then parking the car it in a garage and turning it off. I'm guessing but, in situations like that it might help to run a lot of hot outside air through the system full blast with the A/C off to hopefully evaporate any moisture before parking underground and turning off the car...

#5 ·
This seems like an odd diagnosis. I say odd, because a great many people would be experiencing the same thing if it were as you described. I live in FL too. It is often hot and humid here and I run the a/c without limit when I am driving. When I get home, the car is parked in the garage and turned off. I have never had a problem with any foul smelling orders... at least not yet.

#9 ·
MB is lucky they have a lot going for themselves to the point most buyers going through issues find it hard to part ways.

For example, it takes a lot of frustration for someone to move to Lexus, i've seen it and its a big sacrifice, Lexus just isn't up to par.

#11 · (Edited)
You should definitely get rid of that smell somehow. Go to a car service and fix it, dude. I think that there is a high level of humidity in your car, and it has caused the appearance of mold and smell. I would suggest checking if there is no mold. If you notice any mold - you should get rid of it as soon as possible. I would suggest calling these guys Mississauga Mold Removal, they know what to do in such situations. I already have some experience of working with that company, and I can say that they really know their job.