Mercedes GLE Forum banner

Very poor headlights

23K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Richlock 
#1 ·
I have owned 3 ML's prior to getting our new GLE two weeks ago. Every ML had the lighting package built in to equipment options by the dealer. That is how they ordered the vehicles. The new GLE has a stand alone option of LED lights, a $1,300 option. Very few vehicles have been ordered by the dealerships with this option. I just assumed ( not a good idea) that MB would be using Xenons as a standard. NOT TRUE. They chose to equip their GLE's with a very inferior headlight, one that can be found on any entry level car. I cannot see too well with these headlights and I'm 59 yrs old. I took it in to the dealership to get the muffler whine taken care of and asked one of the chief mechanics about the headlights. He said there wasn't an easy solution. He also noted that that a lot of people have been complaining and that he himself is having problems with night driving while in this vehicle. Is any other members of this forum having difficulties with night driving with these headlights? What opinions do you have about how MB chose to equip the GLE with this lighting system?

#2 ·
I wasn't happy with my the day I test drove it. I had aftermarket Morimoto HID system mod on my c300 and I knew their used the same bulb (H7) as c300, I was able removed and to moved the whole HID system over to GLE with an additional cost of $3 for the bracket to hold the Morimoto H7 base to lock it in with GLE base. I loved it since then. Hope this answer or help out.

On a side note: of course dealership will said "not an easy solution" they will always want to up charge a $30 part to $1500.00. Mine was with retro-fit a backup camera for my GLE, I didn't want all the junk like: Map, HDD, voice-control ect... My previous car was loaded with all that and I barely used it. It's mostly local drive to all the destinations I already knew.
Anywho, I'm stilling wait for some information on how to remove the "lift-gate" panel and still able to reinstall it with damaging it. I knew how to access and head unit already, I just need to run the cable and power the camera plus access to the engineering menu aka "secret-menu" to auto-switch the screen once the Reverse gear engage.

#8 ·
Hello,

I'm in Geneva, Switzerland. I have exactly the same problem with my GLE 2016, equipped with H7 halogen headlamps. I consulted with the chief technician in MG garage. They don't touch the car as their affiliation policy with MB but a less costly and quick solution is to use Philipps H7 halogen with Xenon effect. The temperature of the bulb is around 4300K as apposed to yellowish lamps with 3300K. Otherwise, you can also use LEDs, etc. which needs adaptor and you cannot use the cap behind the headlight set. After market LEDs are not so reliable. They may either dazzle or not be sufficient for high beam. MB doesn't offer xenon to protect expensive selling option for LEDs.

Amir

#11 ·
I just purchased a 2018 GLS 450. I test drove during the day and figured it would automatically come with XENON. My previous Volvo and Infiniti and even my 2001 BMW all had XENON lights. These halogen lights are too dim and very dangerous. This is my first MB and so far not pleased with it. The dealer is telling me that the lights CANNOT be replaced/ changed. I am scared to buy one of these aftermarket lights and have it not work. Are you 100% positive that they do work? Did you have a mechanic replace them? Please help.

#12 ·
I have a 2019 GLE400. I feel that MBENZ has opted for substandard quality and design on the halogen headlights. I contacted the MB customer service and they claim to meet the requirements. However, it is not about meeting requirements but about a brand that is supposed to stand for high ratings and a safe vehicle. These lights are not safe, are a hazard and are subpar especially for the brand.

The dealer tells me it will cost $3000 or so to upgrade.My question is, why should I have to pay because MB decided not to stick to the quality expected on a $70,000+ vehicle. Btw I’m not expecting LED or Xenon quality here, my daughters Ford Fiesta provides better light at night with halogens.

Bottom line, should MB customers put into question other features of Mercedes cars? Are the safety options offered designed to simply meet specs?

I have ordered LasFit LEDs in hopes this can be a solution.

Any advice? Any others w similar issues, how resolved?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.