Snow driving with the GLE43 - Mercedes GLE Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Benzinator
  • 1 Post By HDGFND

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Snow driving with the GLE43

We had our first good snow yesterday. Anyway, the wife and I went to breakfast for what I call an interesting drive. I had a 2015 ML350 that was very good in the snow but I can honestly say the GLE43 is not the same. For starters, I spent four years in the Nordic and the rest of the time in the Midwest so I know how to drive snow. Obviously, the tires are the issue and I'm not going to buy a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for my pride and joy. BTW, my wife's 2016 E400 coupe goes through the snow with zero issues. Oh well.

Last edited by bairdwc; 12-25-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: mispelling
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Snow tires are a must for me no matter what car I get because the risk of sliding is just not worth taking IMO. Once tried driving through a storm in all seasons and it wasn't fun. Doesn't have to be the best out there, but an average set still makes a difference. But this does give you a reason to commandeer your wife's E400 coupe more often when it snows.
bairdwc likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Bridgestone Blizzaks have always been my go to winter tires and regardless of which vehicle I put them on, they always impress!
bairdwc likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:09 AM

I've been thinking of giving the Continental WinterContact tires a try, a change from the usual Michelin. They're pretty affordable and said to have accurate steering and great snow acceleration.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:33 PM

I have a 2017 GLE43, with its stock 20" rim and all-season tires, I wasn't able to get on the driveway at my rented place at Tahoe last winter.
I would like to get snow tires this year. Dealer suggests me to keep using stock rims, and get additional set of snow tires (4 rubbers). They will charge $120 twice a year to swap rubbers for me. The advantage is cheaper up front, I don't have to buy 4 rims, with 4 TPMS sensors. However somewhere online I read that it is better to get 1 inch smaller dedicated rims for snow tires.

I am glad to find this thread. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Also, will 19" rim work with the super-sized calibers on AMG43?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	904  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM

A good source for fitment is Tire Rack. Wheel offset is another factor to consider.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdwc View Post
We had our first good snow yesterday. Anyway, the wife and I went to breakfast for what I call an interesting drive. I had a 2015 ML350 that was very good in the snow but I can honestly say the GLE43 is not the same. For starters, I spent four years in the Nordic and the rest of the time in the Midwest so I know how to drive snow. Obviously, the tires are the issue and I'm not going to buy a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta's for my pride and joy. BTW, my wife's 2016 E400 coupe goes through the snow with zero issues. Oh well.
Have you tried with Snow chains?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page