Do you buy premium gasoline? I don't. - Page 2 - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzinator View Post
I've always assumed that engines were designed to run on a certain level of octane, and won't consistently putting regular fuel, when the owner's manual says otherwise, nullify your warranty?
Why did you assume that? And what do you make of my experience driving the BMW, Audi, and now GLE on regular fuel?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig4568 View Post
I've never used premium fuel not because of cost but because its the same thing I totally agree with you and I've never had Merc pull me up for it and I've been driving there cars for 20 years all models shapes and sizes and they have all been serviced fully by Mercedes so they might recommend it but there not checking your doing it I pick up me new Gle tomorrow I'll ask the tech so I can look at his bewildered Eh! face
Did you pick up your new GLE? What color? What engine did you go for... 350? 400? 43? 63?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM

According to the GLE Owner's Manual:

"As a temporary measure, if the recommended
fuel is not available, you may also use regular
unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of
87 AKI/91 RON. This may reduce engine performance
and increase fuel consumption. Avoid
driving at full throttle and sudden acceleration."

So it seems you are OK as long as you avoid driving at full throttle and accelerating suddenly.

I guess the open question is whether you actually save money -- does the possible reduced fuel economy offset the price difference.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

So it seems you are OK as long as you avoid driving at full throttle and accelerating suddenly.

I guess the open question is whether you actually save money -- does the possible reduced fuel economy offset the price difference.

If that is really the case for someone and that someone really wants to maintain engine performance then a bottle of octane booster might be a good idea. Most gas stations carry them and all it will be is an extra $5 on top of your tank of gas.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

You sound like a rational person; I appreciate your reply. As I said before, I drive to work, gym, shopping etc. My drag racing days are long behind me. I have never needed to extract the absolute maximum performance out of my car's engine. If I did, I would certainly buy premium fuel, but I would also upgrade my tires and brakes.

Owner's manuals aside, I would be interested in your reply to one of my earlier queries: what seems more likely to you 1) cars literally needs premium fuel to function properly/better or 2) the "idea" of premium fuel is a con perpetrated by car makers and big oil to extract more money from consumers.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:34 PM

@7of9 do you eat canned dog food or fancy feast since it is just a lower grade of human food. How’s that taste.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 03:09 PM

Garage
As has been stated...modern, computer controlled cars will run ok, without damage, on lower grade of gasoline. However, higher octane prevents pre-ignition in high-compression engines. The on-board computer will detect pre-ignition (what we called "pinging" in the old days) and adjust timing, etc. to prevent it. Thus no engine damage. However, the changes to engine settings will change performance, including fuel economy. Thus, using regular in engines designed for premium is, in most cases, false economy. Cost/gallon less, but, miles/gallon less also.
So, everyone is right. You CAN run regular engine in a GLE without damage. But you probably aren't saving much money on fuel.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM

I started using premium gas until the car was broken in. Then a friend, who has had high end luxury and sports cars forever told me it is absolutely a waste of money to put in premium gas. I started driving regular and had the car for two years running only regular with no problems. However, this summer, in the extended extreme heat and humidity running the a/c all the time, I did notice a bit of lag. I put in a couple tanks of premium and the car was definitely peppier than it had been. I turned in the car off lease before the weather changed, so I did not have a chance to swap back to regular to see if that had any noticeably adverse effect. I plan to put premium in my new GLE for the first 1000 miles or so, then once break in is over, swap back to regular.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1495767107964

. . . I told you so. Again, I have never filled up with premium fuel and it runs just fine. As did my Audi before the GLE.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Interesting, so the Mercedes dealer I worked for in Savannah would not allow premium fuel in any of their cars, BMW, Mercedes and GMC dealer. He has a friend that owns a large fuel company that convinced him that premium really wasn’t any different than regular. I always leased BMW’s and never put high test in any of them I I never noticed any lack of power or knocking. Now that I’m retired and own vs lease I alternate regular and premium every other tank. Paranoid I guess. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page