First impressions: AMG 43
New (as of April 27) GLE 43 owner here. Loving it so far. I believe this car comes with a hard drive onto which I can load CDs. I loaded about 6 disks and then the option to load more became greyed-out and I could not select it anymore. Is the disk full? That doesn’t seem reasonable. My previous car came with a 40gb hard drive. How big is the drive in this car? I know I can listen by connecting my iPhone or iPod (I do use the iPod hard wire connection) but I want to store my CDs too.
Things I like:
• Tons of power on command. You forget how big and heavy this vehicle is when the engine is so responsive
• very quiet interior
• very smooth ride
• illuminated star on the grill (a little vanity goes a long way)
• much more roomy than my former Audi Q5
• new car smell (not specific to MB or GLE but I’m enjoying it nonetheless)
• great sound system
• strong air conditioning (brrrr!)
• ventilated seats
Things I do not like:
• my former Audi Q5 would automatically lock the doors after one or two minutes when the car was parked. I got very used to this measure of security and loved it. Is this an option I can select in settings somewhere or do I literally have to lock the doors every time I exit the vehicle?
• I can already tell this is a serious gas guzzler
• ventilated seats are more wimpy than I expected. It has three settings, but the strongest setting feels like it should be the first setting and it should have two higher settings above that. Some ventilation is better than none, of course, but the strength of this system is very disappointing.
• my passenger pointed out that he does not have a lumbar support controller. I checked; that seat does not have the lumbar support that I do as the driver.
• my Audi came with valet key (stored in the glove box), which freed me from ever having to give the valet my key ring. I hate having to give my key ring to a valet or having to remove the GLE key from my ring. Is there no similar valet key option for the GLE?
Btw, I drove the GLE 350 and was shocked at how weak the engine was! I can’t believe so many of those engines are on the road. I suppose soccer moms neither notice nor care about engines. The 400 was acceptable, but after driving the 43 there was no going back.