New GLE550e hybrid on its way. OOPS! - Page 2 - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 PM

Tried looking for myself with no luck, unfortunately owners in this segment don't report numbers as often as those in lower segments. But a realistic expectation is for real world MPG's to stick within a range of 10% of the MPG's reported on paper.

What will help too is looking at MB models running a similar setup, that will give you an idea of a trend happening within the brand. Hopefully that helps.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:55 PM

Recently bought a Cayenne e-hybrid and love it. Am looking at the 550e but there are literally none in FL. Am also worried that the 2018 model will be substantially improved in efficiency (less weight, better battery). Anyone have any insight?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM

What are you currently getting on the Cayenne e-hybrid ??

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Depends on usage. Currently mostly a daily commuter. About 16 miles each way (~50+ minutes in the brutal Miami traffic). I have a free charging station at work so it's all electric each way. Most comfortable way to have to sit in bumper to bumper! Highway traffic is high 20s if i drive to conserve and do a lot of cruising. Probably around 23mpg if aggressive (80+). Not saying i've driven over the speed limit of course but it is a Porsche I've only had it two months and so far the combined readout is:
Travel Time: 160hrs
Distance: 3,154mi
AveSpeed: 21mph (did i mention the brutal traffic?)
MPG: 35.6mpg
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Finally got my 2017 GLE550e December 12,2016. 4 1/2 months after it was built. So far everything works perfectly. The delay was because they had to revise the window sticker mileage expectations after the VW cheating fiasco on alternative fuel vehicles. Mine says 43 MPGe. Combined gas and electric. And 21 MPG, gas only. Combined city and highway. I can now compare this to my wife's S550e 2016. They have the same exact motor. First the GLE550e is about 400 pounds heavier and is 4 wheel drive. The S is obviously more streamlined. And the gearing is different. I'm running more RPM at the same highway speed. So I'm expecting less MPG in the GLE. The main thing is your driving pattern. The shorter the trip between charging, the higher your MPG. I do mostly short trips around our town. Many days I do 8-15 total miles, and then it's back on the charger. Often the gas engine never starts. It sows 99.9 mpg for the day. I like to push the select button on the dash and change the setting from hybrid to eMode. This allows more push on the gas pedal without turning on the engine. I get adequate acceleration for most driving, when I've floored it, I was shocked at the power. 0-60 is supposed to be about 5.3 seconds??? I think the electric torque boost really helps. Anyway,this is my first full tank after getting the car. I've had more short driving days than normal, and I've now driven 450 miles on the tank and I'm at exactly 50 MPG, with 331 miles on total electric! I still have just over a half a tank of gas left. This will not be normal, when I do longer drives, but it is possible with many short days. My wife drives about a 26 miles commute a day and in 8,000 miles has never gotten less than 34-36 MPG on a tank. The dashboard number might be off a bit and I'll check it when I get gas in about 350 miles! Since the GLE550E is basically identical to the GLE400, with the addition of the electric, and I believe the base price is about $1,000 more, but then I got a $4,085 federal rebate, it ends up being $3,085 or so LESS, and .8 seconds quicker to 60, plus much better mileage, I think this is the way to go. I'll try and post a picture of the dash board numbers. Until the next refil. John.

Last edited by Kruzmisl; 01-14-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here is the photo of the MPG. Notice still more than half a tank left. One other comparison with the S550e. We seem to be able to get abou 15 miles total electric, part city part highway on the S. On the GLE I am only getting about 11-12 on total electric, before the engine automatically starts, and then it's on and off as the battery charges or I'm going downhill, or at a red light, the gas engine shuts off, and if you accelerate gradually when the battery is way down, you can still get up to 5mph or so before the engine starts again. This really helps the MPG as a lot of gas is used getting this thing moving. The difference between the 2 vehicles is probably the gearing, and possibly the GLE has a smaller battery. I'm waiting for someone to come out with an auxillary battery in a case that you can put it in the back and plug it in. Maybe even a "flux capacitor"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	801  

Last edited by Kruzmisl; 01-14-2017 at 06:06 PM.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I looked at the Cayenne while I was waiting for the GLE, and liked it a lot. But for a number of reasons especially since I mountain bike a lot and need a tow hitch receiver to carry a multi bike carrier, and that was not available on the Porsche. Also having 2 vehicles that are very similar in controls and instrumentation make it a lot easier for either my wife or I to drive either car. Good luck and enjoy.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Thanks Kruz. Congrats on the new 550e! What specs/options did you get? I have one built out for the wife and am about to pull the trigger but i'm hearing whispers of upgrades for 2018 models so may wait to see. Perhaps the Flux Capacitor!

Couple of reasons i went with the Cayenne: 1) No 550e models in Florida, 2) super year-end deal on 2016 models from an aggressive startup dealer, and 3) nice federal tax credit. So net-net it was costing less than the cayenne S and about the same as a loaded 550e.

Not having been able to see a 550e in person can you comment on the reduction of cargo space for the battery?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Simon. I never drove one before I ordered, but we have the S550e, which has the identical drive train except for the AWD, which doesn't change any appearance, it's just there. Maybe a little lower MPG. I previously had a 2015 GL550, and I loved the Airmatic suspension, so I ordered that. Pricy, but the GLE just floats. Premium package 3, which includes PP1 and 2. Soft close doors like the GL550. Magic vision controller that really works great. Trailer hitch. This was not factory available On the Porsche And BMW hybrids I looked at. I mountain bike every week and I hav a rack mount carrier. Wood steering wheel, air purification system cardinal red write me a ticket paint! Multi contour seats w/massage, panaramic sunroof, heated and ventilated seats, sport package, etc. did not get runningboards. On my GL the didn't stick out enough to use well, narrow and too easy to slip off. But too far out that the bac of my leg would hit it an get dirty. They should be wider, but slide out. Rebate for the hybrid was $4080. They put it towards the down payment. State rebate also. I have a dealer order list. 42 pages or so. I'll try to scan it and post more info than the dealer knows. John
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 02:25 PM

Wow...all the bells and whistles...congrats! Sounds like a beauty. Interesting comment on the running boards. hadn't really thought about not getting them. I'm 6'4" so wouldn't be an issue for me but the wife is 5'3" and she says she needs them so...

I was trying to find the specs online but couldn't see it. Does the 550e come with an external charge unit/cables/adapters? Is the onboard charger 3.6kwh or 7.2kwh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page