Top Gear Tested the AMG GLE 63 S - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Top Gear Tested the AMG GLE 63 S

Top Gear has recently tested the AMG GLE 63 S and you can read the whole thing right here: http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/m...onic/road-test

It's apparently great for overtaking with incredible traction thought I'm not too sure about the popping sound when you gear shift.
Quote:
Mind you, be aware that if the engine is switched to Sport mode or the transmission to manual, gearshifts are accompanied by a bellicose explosive popping from the exhaust.

The interior looks great too.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Something needs to be done about those center controls for the radio and hvac, looks too dated especially as you start your eyes off on the driver portion and slowly look over to the center
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 05:35 PM

The centre console does look nice, but probably a bit too complex. I'm not sure what it is, maybe just design, but I think that other Benz interiors have much nicer centre stacks.

Here is what the 2015 CLA has.

There are similarities and differences. I think the vent placement has changed the look quite a bit in the GLE.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It doesn't look dated but I can agree with Glen in that it looks a bit too complex for daily use. Most of us will probably need a bit of time to adjust to everything and even then a few buttons will most likely remain unused a majority of the time.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 PM

As for daily use, one thing it does do well is it makes it easy for the driver to keep their eyes on the road and feel their way around the controls.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGFND View Post
As for daily use, one thing it does do well is it makes it easy for the driver to keep their eyes on the road and feel their way around the controls.
x2

That's one important thing to me since i'd hate having to look over for the simplest of things that would be in need of changing.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 PM

but that legacy keypad... all thats missing is the cord LOL
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Calling someone on that keypad is more distracting than pressing a button on your phone to quick dial a contact. At least that's the only use I can see fort he GLE keypad. Unless you can preset numbers into each individual number?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 PM

At this point you only use a keypad to input a number into a contact book. Dialling is just choosing the person's name, not actually dialling it.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Ahhhh speed dialing with the keypad makes more sense. Not sure why I didn't think Mercedes already has something similar in place other than the GLE...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page