Idle speed - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Sam

(Thread Starter)
Idle speed

My GLE 400 has suddenly increased idle speed from 550 rap 850 when using the AC. I've owned side Nov 1, 2015. Dealer can't find any trouble indicators, no engine light, etc. consequently the shop has done nothing to lower the rpm. When started with the AC on the idle first sets at 550 then rises to 850. Naturally this means increased stopping effort in traffic, a constant fight on breaking, and increased surge when shifting into either reverse or drive. If I turn off the AC the idle speed is always 550. I've owned another Mercedes and plenty of other cars. Never experienced this before. Again, this a a recent occurrence. Any comments?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:50 PM

That's really weird. I know typically the rpm may spike up a little bit when you turn the AC on but it'll drop back down after a few seconds. Perhaps there's an issue with the compressor or a relay that's supposed to trigger the rpm raise assistance ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 PM

This is the exact same thing that started happening to me. I bought mine in Nov as well. But now when the outside temp reaches 90, the car increases idle to about 900. Brought it to dealership and they didn't find any issues with it. I'm sure nobody drove it because if they did, they would know that it wasn't normal. That can't be normal. The car becomes very jerky and shifts abruptly, not it's usual smooth shifts. I'm going to have to force my service rep to drive it, if I can ever get another appointment scheduled. It took weeks to get this first visit.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:24 PM

That's ridiculous, did you try calling head office maybe ? You shouldn't have to be dealing with all of those inconveniences at all.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 PM

Took it back to Mercedes again and talked to the shop manager. He said at hotter temps the AC pulls more voltage, causing the engine idle RPM to increase. He said it was more evident in the 400 series. Apparently his E 400 does as well as diesels. I hope this is correct. If so, I'll just accept it as one of its quirks. Every car has some little quirks. If it's not normal then the brakes and transmission will wear out prematurely. I guess time will tell.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM

I am having the same issue as Sam and wbarlow in addition to the extremely annoying exhaust whine. This is in addition to the hydraulic actuator pump that failed inside the transmission (it prevented the tranny from going past 5th gear on several occasions at highway speeds). I guess my GLE 400 is a huge LEMON or I have lousy luck.

Car is at the dealership with the tranny apart and a replacement exhaust has arrived as well. The exhaust has the end of the pipes bent downward and they said they would put some inserts to cover the holes where the exhaust exited before. The high idle RPM will hopefully be addressed because like wbarlow said, it will probably damage the transmission and wear out the brakes prematurely.

I have MB USA involved in this case and will post any updates and/or pictures when I get the car back. I am very disappointed in MB quality and hope they do the right thing and let me get a different vehicle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:37 PM

That is a major disappointment and not what I would expect to come out of an MB factory. I really hope they just give you a new one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
My GLE 400 has suddenly increased idle speed from 550 rap 850 when using the AC. I've owned side Nov 1, 2015. Dealer can't find any trouble indicators, no engine light, etc. consequently the shop has done nothing to lower the rpm. When started with the AC on the idle first sets at 550 then rises to 850. Naturally this means increased stopping effort in traffic, a constant fight on breaking, and increased surge when shifting into either reverse or drive. If I turn off the AC the idle speed is always 550. I've owned another Mercedes and plenty of other cars. Never experienced this before. Again, this a a recent occurrence. Any comments?
Hi Sam,

I am from Australia and was reading your comment on the idle speed for your gle400, I too am having the same problem with mine which is the same year as yours. Can you tell me if anything has been found to cause and fix that problem, my dealer says it is normal for that car which I just don't accept.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Glenn.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarlow View Post
This is the exact same thing that started happening to me. I bought mine in Nov as well. But now when the outside temp reaches 90, the car increases idle to about 900. Brought it to dealership and they didn't find any issues with it. I'm sure nobody drove it because if they did, they would know that it wasn't normal. That can't be normal. The car becomes very jerky and shifts abruptly, not it's usual smooth shifts. I'm going to have to force my service rep to drive it, if I can ever get another appointment scheduled. It took weeks to get this first visit.
Hi, I am from Australia and was reading all comments on the idle speed for your gle400, I too am having the same problem with mine which is the same year as yours. Can you tell me if anything has been found to cause and fix that problem, my dealer says it is normal for that car which I just don't accept.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Glenn.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Has anyone on this forum resolved the rough tranny issue????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page