Very poor headlights - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Very poor headlights

I have owned 3 ML's prior to getting our new GLE two weeks ago. Every ML had the lighting package built in to equipment options by the dealer. That is how they ordered the vehicles. The new GLE has a stand alone option of LED lights, a $1,300 option. Very few vehicles have been ordered by the dealerships with this option. I just assumed ( not a good idea) that MB would be using Xenons as a standard. NOT TRUE. They chose to equip their GLE's with a very inferior headlight, one that can be found on any entry level car. I cannot see too well with these headlights and I'm 59 yrs old. I took it in to the dealership to get the muffler whine taken care of and asked one of the chief mechanics about the headlights. He said there wasn't an easy solution. He also noted that that a lot of people have been complaining and that he himself is having problems with night driving while in this vehicle. Is any other members of this forum having difficulties with night driving with these headlights? What opinions do you have about how MB chose to equip the GLE with this lighting system?
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman View Post
I have owned 3 ML's prior to getting our new GLE two weeks ago. Every ML had the lighting package built in to equipment options by the dealer. That is how they ordered the vehicles. The new GLE has a stand alone option of LED lights, a $1,300 option. Very few vehicles have been ordered by the dealerships with this option. I just assumed ( not a good idea) that MB would be using Xenons as a standard. NOT TRUE. They chose to equip their GLE's with a very inferior headlight, one that can be found on any entry level car. I cannot see too well with these headlights and I'm 59 yrs old. I took it in to the dealership to get the muffler whine taken care of and asked one of the chief mechanics about the headlights. He said there wasn't an easy solution. He also noted that that a lot of people have been complaining and that he himself is having problems with night driving while in this vehicle. Is any other members of this forum having difficulties with night driving with these headlights? What opinions do you have about how MB chose to equip the GLE with this lighting system?
I wasn't happy with my the day I test drove it. I had aftermarket Morimoto HID system mod on my c300 and I knew their used the same bulb (H7) as c300, I was able removed and to moved the whole HID system over to GLE with an additional cost of $3 for the bracket to hold the Morimoto H7 base to lock it in with GLE base. I loved it since then. Hope this answer or help out.

On a side note: of course dealership will said "not an easy solution" they will always want to up charge a $30 part to $1500.00. Mine was with retro-fit a backup camera for my GLE, I didn't want all the junk like: Map, HDD, voice-control ect... My previous car was loaded with all that and I barely used it. It's mostly local drive to all the destinations I already knew.
Anywho, I'm stilling wait for some information on how to remove the "lift-gate" panel and still able to reinstall it with damaging it. I knew how to access and head unit already, I just need to run the cable and power the camera plus access to the engineering menu aka "secret-menu" to auto-switch the screen once the Reverse gear engage.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:39 PM

I've seen quite a few people go the Morimoto route, but I've never seen the differences in person. Do you have pictures that show the differences ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEM View Post
I've seen quite a few people go the Morimoto route, but I've never seen the differences in person. Do you have pictures that show the differences ?
Here's the Low beam with morimoto H7 photos and halogen High beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160708_050744.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160708_050752.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160708_050647.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160708_050654.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160708_050629.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	745  

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 11:40 AM

That's pretty amazing, especially with a halogen bulb. I can only imagine what it would look like if you were running a set of HIDs in there
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEM View Post
That's pretty amazing, especially with a halogen bulb. I can only imagine what it would look like if you were running a set of HIDs in there
Hi GLEM,
Actually the Low Beam (1st picture) are H7 HID by Morimoto 3Five. The High Beam (2nd picture) are OEM Halogen H7 bulb. It only helps with a little with Highbeam. I only use Highbeam to flash/warn drivers of Police ticketing ahead.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 PM

See.. you are a part of the good people in the world !

I always appreciate the people that try to help other drivers out there !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page