New GLE550e hybrid on its way. OOPS! - Mercedes GLE Forum

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
New GLE550e hybrid on its way. OOPS!

I have a GLS550, 2015, coming off lease. Have on order a 2017 GLE550e hybrid. Scheduled build date 7/29/16. Also have a 2016 S550e hybrid, with the same engine/trans combo, less the 4WD, so Iím familiar with the set up and love it. People ask what good is a 17 mile range. Thatís not how it works. Sure there are days when we just go around town and are 100% on pure electric. But in 10 tanks of gas we have never averaged less than 50% of the tank on pure electric, which % is monitored from "start" and "reset" just like gas mileage on all the MB models. The only time we were less than 50% was an 800 mile trip to San Francisco, where it was about 40%, and the gas mileage was about 28, and we averaged about 80 mph+, and just maybe we accidentally hit tripple digits just for a second😇 . Even at 80 mph when cruising in a line of cars on a flat or slight downhill grade, the motor would shut off and be on electric only for miles. Our best tank around town was 605 miles on 14.5 gallons for about 41.7 mpg, with lots of around town electric only mileage. Our minimum is about 35+. Last tank was 39.9. I LOVE THIS 5100 pound CAR. We are having fun watching a days drive at 70mpg. Or 99.9 when the motor never started at all. Iím looking forward to the new GLE to give similar results, same drive train, a hundred pounds more, and 4WD. I drove the first one the dealer got in recently, a 2016, and it felt peppier than the S550e, even though the weight is similar. Gearing maybe? GLE550e uses the same twin turbo 329hp as the GLE400, plus the electric, but quicker zero to 60 at 5.2 vs 6.0 seconds. Tesla electric feel at start, especially on E-Mode, which is Electric ONLY. Move over Rosberg and Hamilton on your similar F1 hybrids! UPDATE. MY 2017 GLE550e hybrid was built on 7/29/16. My lease was up so I turned my GLS550 back and made cars plans until mine arrived. 2 days later I got the dreaded update on my GLE. It was already prepped to ship from Alabama to CA but the whole 550e line was put on hold. I'm told it was because of the VW fiasco. It's supposedly making some or all "alternative fuel" vehicles perform a new/revised fuel mileage test, and the manufacturer to reprint the window stickers. Meanwhile I'm driving a friends "beater" pickup getting 12 mpg. I asked WHEN, and the dealer said 10 days to 2 years! Ha Ha! His best guess is "SeptemberĒ. Iíll post updates.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:00 AM

HI,

I have my Hybrid for half a year now. Worth waiting for. Indeed the electric engine lowers the average fuel consumption. I have now after 11.000 miles an average of: 22mpg (10,6ltr-100km because I live in Europe). I live close to my work so drive many miles on Electric. Indeed the Hybrid is a car to use in the neighbourhood to get advantage of the Electric engines. But when overhauling the speed increase is amazing. Nice to have the extra power. My gle is with pneumatic suspension and a lot of other extras. One of the best cruising cars I drove. The sensors and radars keep very good control over the distance and lane on highway and in the city. On the highway you can use cruise control and take your hands of the steering wheel. It drives with corners and keeps your lane. Superb. The best is that the power steering helps you in the corners keeping your lane. After longer drives you are almost not tired. I would say even rested and unstressed.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM

Where, oh where is my little lost car ;√(

I ordered two (2) identical (every option available) 2017 GLE 550e's in May of 2016. Told that the build date was the middle of Aug. Delivery of one car in late Aug and the second in early Sept. In Sept I was told that they would be delivered in early Oct. Most current estimate of delivery date is around the 20th of Oct. Got the same story from Pensky in San Diego that this was the fault of VW. Why then is this not affecting the delivery of any other hybrids in North America? Why has there been no official announcement from MBUSA about this delay? Why won't they or can't they tell me who or what regulatory agency is responsible for this delay so I can at least confirm their story. The amazing thing about this is the drivetrain in the 2016 and the 2017 is identical. Love to hear from someone at MBUSA who would be willing to tell me what is actually going on because I have become very skeptical of this current cover story.

I have had several calls to customer support and they stated they have checked with the production manager and have no information that they can share with a customer on why their cars are being delayed. Something is fishy.

UPDATE. MY 2017 GLE550e hybrid was built on 7/29/16. My lease was up so I turned my GLS550 back and made cars plans until mine arrived. 2 days later I got the dreaded update on my GLE. It was already prepped to ship from Alabama to CA but the whole 550e line was put on hold. I'm told it was because of the VW fiasco. It's supposedly making some or all "alternative fuel" vehicles perform a new/revised fuel mileage test, and the manufacturer to reprint the window stickers. Meanwhile I'm driving a friends "beater" pickup getting 12 mpg. I asked WHEN, and the dealer said 10 days to 2 years! Ha Ha! His best guess is "SeptemberĒ. Iíll post updates.[/QUOTE]

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM

UPDAT in the post above was a quote from a previous post by KRUZMISL. I included it because he is having similar problems or at least getting the same story.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 AM

hi,
no idea how long it takes now, but the waiting list was long when I ordered last year. I had to wait 7 months.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
hi,
no idea how long it takes now, but the waiting list was long when I ordered last year. I had to wait 7 months.
Chances are it won't be as long this time around since they have had good time to ramp up production and they always built models they know will sell which already takes care of a lot of potential owners.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGFND View Post
Chances are it won't be as long this time around since they have had good time to ramp up production and they always built models they know will sell which already takes care of a lot of potential owners.
I'm still waiting for my GLE550e that was finished and has been sitting in Alabama since, 7/19. The dealer told me 2 weeks ago, that all the MB electrics, like the S550e, are also being held at shipping, and that my car, and all the others were picked up and trucked back to the factory, where they stayed for 2 days. They were then trucked back to the shipping, check back in, and labeled "ready to ship", They still are there in that condition as of this morning. He thinks that whatever work they needed done, was completed, otherwise why the expensive exercise. He believes that they now need the "correct" window sticker, which they can't be sold without, which gives the mileage rating of the revised driving test. Thanks VW. Thanks EPA.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Not fun at all and usually official documents like that have to pass through a lot of individuals before we see what we usually see.

Hopefully in the end they give you something as a way to say sorry since that kind of wait in an industry like this an a high end product like this just isn't acceptable. But of course that depends if you want something out of it, not everyone does, some are far more patient and tolerant than me
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:09 PM

This is definitely taking quite the amount of time from the original delivery date... that's odd... ?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a GLE 550E but I'm wondering if anyone has any real world MPG numbers.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page