Exhaust noise - Mercedes GLE Forum
 10Likes

post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Exhaust noise

i took delivery of our new 2016 GLE 350 and instantly noticed a high pitched whine which i was told was normal exhaust noise and i would not even notice it. Well 650 miles later i am ready to dump the car. does anyone have the same issue? know of a fix? My wife loves the car otherwise. I have been back to the dealer and emailed Mercedes
TreyDrier and LC1 like this.
post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM

I don't have a high pitch in my GLE 350 with 800+ miles. Only hear loud exhaust in the cabinet; it's more than my Pathfinder SL. I'm not sure if it's the "SPORT" tuned engine or what. However, we do have the high pitch at 12 miles (brand new) from the pick up at the lot; in the Pathfinder up until 10K miles. It was told from the Pathfinder Forum that it's power steering pump that product that noise. It randomly goes away and back, I just turn up the music a bit to block it out. Otherwise it's running great. Hope this help. Do let us know what is the verdict?
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 04:56 PM

I also have an annoying exhaust noise in my GLE 350 that I purchased in September and have approx. 2,500 miles on it. The noise appears at 1,500 RPM and goes away between 1,800 and 2,000 RPM, took it to the dealer and they said that it was normal. Also, I have a situation where the revs increase (blip) up about 500 rpm each time the transmission downshifts. I have had 3 MB's before this one and they never did it. Told the dealer and they also said that this is normal. I am wondering if my noise and rev issue is more related to a torque converter problem instead of an exhaust issue???
lgu and LC1 like this.

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker View Post
I also have an annoying exhaust noise in my GLE 350 that I purchased in September and have approx. 2,500 miles on it. The noise appears at 1,500 RPM and goes away between 1,800 and 2,000 RPM, took it to the dealer and they said that it was normal. Also, I have a situation where the revs increase (blip) up about 500 rpm each time the transmission downshifts. I have had 3 MB's before this one and they never did it. Told the dealer and they also said that this is normal. I am wondering if my noise and rev issue is more related to a torque converter problem instead of an exhaust issue???
You might also want to try testing a GLE from another dealer, just to see if it's like that, taking note of mileage and so on that it has.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 PM

I have a 2016 GLE 300d. I too am not pleased with the loud engine/exhaust noise. We previously owned a 2012 Mercedes ML350 diesel. The 2016 GLE 300d is SO MUCH LOUDER than our 2012 ML. I know Mercedes changed the engine from a V6 to a 4 cylinder - but the loud noise in the cabin of the car is ridiculous. Ugh - not very luxurious to have to turn the radio up to try and cover the "cheap" sound of your engine.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I emailed both the dealer and Mercedes with no response at ALL. I have found a Motor Trend review that also notes the noise. I have talked to several auto techs and the over whelming thought was to replace the exhaust tail pipes or "tips" but all are afraid it will jeopardize the warranty. My noise is also most noticeable between 1400 and 1800 RPMS. Why can't a luxury car address this?
Motor Trend review 2016

As we’ve noticed in other Benzes using this new V-6, the engine note is gritty and unrefined with an unpleasant, nasally exhaust note and enough internal dissonance to vibrate the floorboards at 3,500 rpm. It’s far too loud (even on a vehicle wearing AMG Sport badges), and its whole character is out of place in a Mercedes-Benz product. Also, boosted to 120 hp per liter is a recipe for lag, and indeed at low speeds the V-6 struggles to build boost. The V-6’s rumored straight-six replacement cannot come soon enough.
TreyDrier likes this.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:01 AM

I too am going insane with this high pitch exhaust/muffler noise. My dealer tells me it's normal but I find it hard to believe that MB would release a product with such problem and not addressing it. I've now put on 2000 miles and almost want to take a hit and terminate the lease early. If anyone with the same problem had resolved the issue please please share with us the solution. Thanks!
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:41 AM

I think MB didn't care about adding more sound proof materials in the doors, floors, and spare tire well. In my 2008 c300, the door are much heavier than this GLE350, even closing the trunk requires more efforts. I wonder if add sound deafing material, those rubber like sheet to the spare tire well will alleviate the exhaust sounds?
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 PM
lgu

My GLE350 has same noise when RPM is on 1600 and if the car is running on 1600-1700 RPM, the noise is continuously bother me, I hate that noise very much. I went to dealer they say it is normal, but I think it is a software issue.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Yes!! Both my wife and I noticed the high pitched whining noise right away. I turned in a 2014 ML 350 and it did not have the annoying engine sound. I am NOT happy. This is a $60k+ vehicle. I expect MB to fix this problem and stop saying its "normal".
redfox302 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes GLE Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page